Let’s be honest, we do not always give our hair the best treatment. From blow drying, straightening and curling to pools with chemicals, salt water in the summer and dry air and hats in the winter, sometimes our hair really needs some tender, love and care. Fortunately, a few items that we can find in our kitchen can restore it back to its roots.
All natural and organic hair masks are nourishing for our scalp and roots. DIY hair mask are affordable and simple to make with ingredients from the kitchen pantry. Remember, your hair is growing, and like a plant, you must nurture it with care and patients so that it grows strong and healthy. Here are homemade hair mask for every type of hair.
Dry and Damaged Hair
This hair mask also sounds an ingredient list for a delicious meal. Use this avocado hair mask to help repair weather and heat damage.
Ingredients: 2 tbsp. Olive oil, 2 tbsp. of honey, avocado, 1 egg yolk (Note: if you have shorter hair then use half of each ingredient.)
- Mix everything together in a bowl or in a blender.
- Apply to your hair, working from the bottom up to your scalp
- Wrap hair in shower cap, plastic bag or plastic wrap
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes (45 minutes for a deep conditioning)
- Rinse out in shower
- Shampoo and conditioner as usual
Bananas are cheap and available all year around and are great for your hair. Bananas are great for dry and frizzy hair and even for dandruff.
Ingredients: Ripe bananas, olive oil, whole milk and
- Throw everything into the blender (or mix by hand)
- Make sure that everything is blended properly (you don’t want chunks of banana in your hair)
- Apply all over your hair in small sections (preferably with gloves)
- Put a shower cap or plastic wrap around hair
- Leave on for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly and shampoo as usual
Eggs are a great ingredient for DIY hair mask. The yolks are perfect for those with dry and brittle hair but the whites are perfect for removing excess oil.
Ingredients: 1-2 eggs (depending on length)
- Take an egg and remove the yolk
- Mix the egg whites until very well mixed
- Apply to roots of oily hair
- Apply to length of your hair (optional)
- Rinse and shampoo and condition as usual
Remove Excess Build-Up
Strawberries are loaded with vitamin-C, which is great for your hair. They are perfect for an oily scalp but they also help rinse away build-up and are gentler than clarifying shampoos.
Ingredients: Handful of strawberries, tbsp. of coconut oil, tbsp. of honey
- Blend the ingredients to form a fine puree
- Apply the mixture to damp hair, working from roots to tips
- Rinse well with warm water
Moisturizing Hair Mask for All Hair Types
This 2-ingredient and simple hair mask is great for all hair types and can be used once a month as a deep conditioning treatment.
Ingredients: Ripe avocado, (1-2 tbsp) olive oil
- Smash avocado
- Add olive oil
- Mix well
- Apply all over your hair
- Put on shower cap
- Leave in for 10-minutes
Remember that there are many variations of hair masks. Find the best one for your hair type and use it on your hair once per month or as recommended to grow and nourish your tresses.